Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's a boy!

First of all, I could have sat and watched the ultrasound all day long. I didn't want to leave. It's amazing to me to see this beautiful child growing and moving inside of me. It blows me away. I had a hunch that it was a boy before the technician told us, but that didn't stop the tears of joy and Edgar almost jumping up and down when she told us. It's funny, with Clare I think Edgar was in shock. I can remember his face and how stunned he looked. His first comment was, "I need to get a gun." With our little boy, he was elated and all he could do was just laugh and shake my hand as if I just gave him the greatest gift in the world. Science tells me, however, that it was completely up to him.

Edgar said that he was fully prepared to be the family with five girls. I, on the other hand, was not. Don't get me wrong, I love my little girl, but I'm not sure I'm the type of mom that could handle five girls. I'm not even girly enough myself. Edgar is the type of dad that could be a wonderful father to five girls, but I am excited to see him be a father to his son. It's amazing to watch your best friend and your spouse become a parent. I know everything that Edgar is to me, and it overwhelms me with joy and love to know what he is going to be to Clare and to our son. I told him to dust off his soccer boots because there's about to be another star in the house.

When we got home from our appointment, Clare was overjoyed to see us. Still in her pj's, she ran to the door and greeted us with the biggest hugs as if we had been gone for a week. At times, I get emotional thinking about how there's only a very short time left with this little family of three. It's not that I'm sad, but I know that things will change and sometimes I worry about sharing my time and attention between kids.

We showed Clare the pictures from the ultrasound and I think she's still trying to wrap her mind around the situation. She asked, "But where is the baby sister?" I told her that God has only given her a baby brother this time and maybe sometime later she will get a baby sister. She then replied, "You're having a baby Jesus?" I'm no Virgin Mary, but I'm glad she thinks of me as holy. Later as we were driving to the park she asked, "Mom, can Jesus change my baby brother into a baby sister?" I had to explain that it was Jesus' will for us to have a son and for her to be a big sister. It's crazy to hear what a two year old questions and thinks about.

So my Christmas wish list is complete-- I wanted a healthy baby and a happy family. We have both and I am forever grateful.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you guys! Baby boy Tavares will be so very cute and so very loved!

    ReplyDelete